Pacific Peoples’ Partnership was registered in 1975 as a non-profit organization and Canadian charity. Based on traditional Lekwungen territories in Victoria BC, Canada, we are Canada’s only non-profit organization and registered charity focused specifically on the island nations of the South Pacific. Our Vision: Healthy, resilient and just South Pacific communities. Our Mission: The purposes of the Society are:
- To promote increased understanding of the Pacific Islands and issues of importance to the people of the Pacific Islands through:
- Providing and supporting educational programs about the Pacific;
- Developing and providing educational resource materials on the Pacific Islands and Pacific issues; and
- Facilitating links between Canadian Indigenous and Pacific Island organisations with similar interests.
- To support equitable, environmentally sustainable development and social justice in the Pacific Islands region through:
- Supporting Canadian and international networks which address Pacific issues;
- Providing support (financial and other) for projects in the Pacific; and
- Promoting support on matters of concern to people in the Pacific Islands.
Our Approach: North-South Indigenous knowledge exchanges are central to our work. We facilitate ongoing knowledge exchange opportunities between Indigenous communities in Canada, New Zealand and Australia, and Pacific Islanders from Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia. Read more about our approach here.
We value an open process of multi-stakeholder dialogue through country-based thematic, regional, grassroots, and global consultations. PPP works as part of the team to help define common principles and goals within the countries we work with. We work in partnership to achieve those goals and principles. Above all, PPP values respect in every aspect of social and business interaction. We practice respect through commitment to the following values:
- PPP promotes human rights and social justice.
- PPP embodies gender equality and equity while promoting women’s rights.
- PPP focuses on people’s empowerment, democratic ownership, and participation.
- PPP promotes environmental sustainability.
- PPP practices transparency and accountability.
- PPP pursues equitable partnerships and solidarity.
- PPP creates and shares knowledge appropriately and is committed to mutual learning.
- PPP is committed to realizing positive sustainable change.